A few months ago, the question how to fix the track to the table was passing my mind. A little brainstorm lead to a range of possible ways, written on the hardware page (near the bottom). The point is … I do not like glue. It is too definitive to me. I want to keep the option open that I might want to change the layout at a later time. Yes, I know, you can take apart glued track, but it becomes more messy. Any other way keeps the track cleaner.
With the first flex track laying tests absurd large screws were used. That of course is not the way to go for the definitive layout. After several tests I decided to go with the ‘garden wire’ method. Some 6 cm of wire is bent into an U-shape. Two tiny 1 mm holes are drilled at the outside of the rail alongside a sleeper. The U wire goes over the sleeper, through the holes. Under the table, the two wire ends are simply bent to the side … rail fixed!
Below we see a piece of track fixed to the table by just two of those wires (one is in view, the other is to the left, at the back side of the rail, out of view). Using a wire every 20 cm, alternating left and right, fixes the track tight enough.
The reed switch is the one that I plan to use for block detection.
When the garden wire and the reed switch wires are tipped with a black marker pen, they become well camouflaged and are barely noticeable from a normal viewing distance. Of course I should have painted them black before mounting them, in order to cover them fully and not to smear my rail and table like I did now. Lesson learnt. 🙂