SUMMARY: The JYE DSO Shell 150 is a very portable, fun to build and fun to use oscilloscope. Don’t expect super specs, sample rate is 1M/s and analog bandwith is 200kHz. But then … all this fun comes at an incredible price, ranging from $20 – $50.
The DSO Shell can be bought as a finished product or as a DIY kit. I ordered a kit from Aliexpress at around €18,-. The package arrived 2 weeks later in a bubble wrap envelope. The kit comprised of several bags with assorted parts and a plastic housing and 4 pages of building instructions with full color pictures.
(Click images to enlarge)
The component tester I just got turned out to be a great help with sorting out the resistors and capacotors. I was pleasantly surprised the tester was even capable of measuring capacitors with values as low as 20pf. It was only with the 1pF C that it was not able to detect the component.
Oh no! When I powered up the digital board, as per instructions to test if the board and the display were working, the display did not come up! After a little trial and error I found out I had to apply some pressure to the flatcable connector in order for it to make proper contact. I would have to put a piece of faom on that later when assembling the case.
Now there was some soldering to do. After an hour or so the analog board looked like this.
Time to test. First a series of voltage measurements need to take place on 8 test pins on the analog baord. If things are not according to spec, the manual gives hints on which components might be wrong. Thoroughly check if you did not make any mistakes placing and soldering them. Luckily all my voltages were in range.
Next, two 10-30 pF trimming capacitors needed to be adjusted, such that a clean square wave signal without over- or undershoot is shown when the input is connected to the on board test pin. One tuning is performed at 3.3V and one at 0.1V.
That went well. Yay … it’s working!
Mounting the enclosure was straightforward, although aligning the top cover such that all 4 pushbuttons operate friction free was a bit of a hassle. Also I had to add a piece of foam to keep enough pressure on the display flat cable to make proper contact (which obviously should not be the case, this was just my kit that had this lil flaw).
The Arduino delivers a 5V 25.1% PWM signal … looks good!
We can see here that the PWM duty cycle is measured at 25.1%, exactly as generated by the Arduino: 64/255=25.1.
I like it already! 🙂
Let’s feed it some other signals just for fun …
— THE END —