Past week the Arduino came in. It was kinda funny. I had ordered it at Aliexpress, together with a bunch of additional stuff like sensors, servo’s, breadboards, wires. Good prices, but not known for the speediest China mail delivery. When it still had not arrived after 2 weeks I used the tracking code. The first few days the package had been on the move, but it seemed it was stuck now in Canada (!?), for 1.5 weeks already. After waiting another week I decided to email the shop. They replied they would look into it. That same day … guess what … the package arrived! Hehe, need to be a bit more patient … I sent out my email just one day too soon 🙂
What I plan to use it for is to serve as a DCC servo decoder to switch junctions and as an S88 sensor board for occupancy detection. Why? You might ask since those are readily available boards. True, but I just like to see if I can get this to work. If it works … it is a lot cheaper. An average 4x DCC servo decoder or 16x S88 detector boards sets you back some €40,-, while an Arduino is only €6,-!
So … on to try out the DCC monitor that was created by ‘mynabay’. Unfortunately that did not work. Seems the optocoupler I used is too slow. I have some speedier ones on order now. This project is on hold till those arrive.
On to the other project … the Arduino as an S88 occupancy detector. I tried to find some readily available code on the internet. Could not find anything working so I wrote some code myself. It’s working, for the time being as a stand alone 16x detector. Still have to add some software to be able to ‘chain’ multiple Arduino’s such that more than 16 (max 512) sensors can be read out.
For those interested, more details and the download link can be found on the software page.